Friday, June 24, 2011

A Bad Day

Ok so this post is for anyone out there who ever feels like a bad mom. I just got done propping up a bottle for Roman to eat. Why was I committing such a big no-no, you ask? Well because I was about to burn the house down.
Here goes, so yesterday started off fabulously. Roman napped, I worked out, things are great. When he woke up he had a decent scratch on his face and was crying about it. I swear I just cut his nails last week! Anyways, I decide to mess with that later and feed him. We had to go to the bank but he was being such a sweet boy and so calm that after he finished eating I decided to trim his nails before we left. Big mistake. I am usually terrified of trimming his nails, but yesterday was going beautifully. I did a great job and he barely noticed. I'm getting a little cocky at this point, when all of a sudden I realize I have just clamped down on all skin. My reaction time is faster and I look at Roman. He looks at me, his reaction slightly delayed, and starts WAILING. I panic and freeze. After a second I get my head out of my butt and grab one of his teethers to put on it. Still wailing. I rocked him. No good. I try distracting him. Nope. I called my mom who very calmly told me to get a cool washcloth, put pressure on it, and give him his pacifier. Now I understand that her advice was quite simple, however I was incapable of coming the the conclusion myself. I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and I have blood all over my face. Roman finally calmed down and fell asleep, clearly traumatized. I manage to wipe the tears (my own) and blood from my face and get myself together. I laid him down and he promptly woke up. I decide to try the bank.
Roman has now forgotten his finger. We leave to go to the bank and I swear I pull as close to the ATM as possible and I CANNOT reach the thing. I put the car in park, stretching my arm and finally practically crawling out of the window. I pinch my arm on the door lock and I am pretty sure I was about to dislocate my shoulder. People are in line behind me and I feel like a royal idiot. What happens next? The ATM spits my card back out at me telling me that my pin number is incorrect. This is our old account, we just left it open because our car payment comes out of it. So it is beyond me what my old pin number was. So I go park and drag Roman, who is so big, that carrying him in his carseat is the hardest workout I've ever done, into the bank.
Shortly after we make it home, he went down for a nap. We were meeting with a daycare director last night, so I had told Warren I would cook dinner in the afternoon and then we could just reheat it. I started to saute chicken and immediately realized I had too much oil in the pan. It is splashing out on me and causing a bunch of smoke but I got the vent on and the chicken cooked so fast it was okay. When I got the chicken out of the pan, the oil continued burning the pan so I shoved the pan under some water. An enormous steam cloud bubbled up and I realize that I am about to set off the fire alarm. And the baby is asleep. I run around turning on fans and opening doors and windows. The condo is filled with smoke. Somehow I avoid burning the house down or waking up Roman. I get the vegetables on (I was making Thai chicken wraps, mmm) when I hear Roman. I leave the vegetables, get him changed and a bottle, and I realize if I feed him I am going to ruin dinner. The vegetables were almost finished and if they were left the would have burned, gotten soggy, or worst case scenario, caught fire. Roman, the impatient three (four today!) month old that he is, was screaming his head off for a bottle. Leading me to grab a Baby Einstein octopus, prop a bottle on it, and finish dinner. Sans fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment